Before we launch into the video, we should first define the term “Divergent Evolution,” which Demitri defines as:
When at least 2 groups of the same species that originate from the same parent species independently acquire differences that are necessary for persistence in their respective environments.
You can find out more about divergent evolution here.
- Andersen, K.G., Rambaut, A., Lipkin, W.I. et al. The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2. Nat Med26, 450–452 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-020-0820-9
Other links (in order of appearance):
• The above image is from Google Maps.
• Link to The proximal origin of SARS-CoV-2 paper in Nature Medicine https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
• Link to Probable Pangolin Origin of SARS-CoV-2 Associated with the COVID-19 Outbreak paper in Cell https://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/S0960-9822(20)30360-2.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0960982220303602%3Fshowall%3Dtrue
• Link to above image https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/02/pangolin-pictures-world-pangolin-day/
• The above images are from the Netflix original Coronavirus, Explained S1E1.
• Above information from Mandell, Douglas and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases.